At rangamaati, we have a commitment to Quality Materials, and that includes Handwoven Organic Fabric and Natural Dyes. We do our best to use them as often as possible, in addition to supporting efforts to raise awareness throughout the country and how to incorporate them more into their Urban LifeStyle.
Rooted in history, Handwoven fabrics and Natural Dyes are an important part of rangamaati’s Textile history — and better for the environment overall.
The philosophy behind rangamaati was and continues to be, to empower women through their traditional skills, and promote Bengal’s textiles and crafts across the globe. In Bengal, we work with women artisans, rural producer groups and Bengal youth. All of these people make rangamaati what it is today and the co-directors at rangamaati are committed to everybody’s wellbeing and that everyone has an opportunity for professional and social development.
Fair Trade Philosophy
When you buy a product at rangamaati you can be sure that:
- Weavers | Artisans at rangamaati paid at least 2 times more than the minimum wage as prevailing in the dominant Market.
- We only work with the finest raw materials and oversee all productions steps to guarantee the highest quality products using environmentally friendly techniques.
- We are actively involved with Social organizations and Self Help Groups to help eradicate poverty in the rural areas of Bengal.
- We work in all areas of the value chain so we can guarantee to our customers that at each stage of the chain, from sourcing raw materials to producing the finished product, everyone involved is fairly compensated.
- We educate our visitors, customers around the world about Bengal and Indian handicrafts to develop a deeper appreciation of both the high level of skill involved and the cultural significance of designs.
- We have plans to set up a wide range of programmes to support artisans and local communities around Bengal and educate visitors about Handloom & Handicrafts.
Our Environmental Commitment
As part of our sustainable development policy, rangamaati has made a commitment to making all our activities environmentally friendly, in particular by:
- Using E.U approved chemical dyes.
- Using locally produced materials for our textiles and handicrafts.
- Training our staff in energy saving measures.
As a socially responsible Enterprise, we strive to make our community a better place and a part of that is caring about our impact on the environment. We source all of our raw materials locally and seasonally in order to minimize our carbon footprint. This also reflects our commitment to the local community by supporting local business.
We aim to be a plastic-free company and have taken to big steps towards this goal. We are working with our team to raise awareness and educate the local community about the issue of plastic pollution as a global problem.